Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Real & Sincere.

by Lauren Lucille Canavaciol

I've always been a little more than interested in typography.  Ever since I was taught to write, I looked at each letter as its own little piece of artwork.  It is because of this that my handwriting is always changing and my signature completely depends on how I'm feeling that day.

My absolute favorite way of any letter work is handwriting, and I think that it's forgotten about and underrated.  It is the most intricate, the most real, the most sincere and personal font, in my opinion.  Whether it's messy and somewhat illegible, or cursive and smooth and pretty, it is a reflection of the hand and the person that wrote it.  It could be for something as menial as a grocery list, or romantic as a love letter, or as important as a check.

I've always observed people's handwriting.  Now I'm at the point where I can actually SEE people's quirkiness and character in their own letters.  Each person's handwriting is a part of them.  I think that seeing this is a great way to start to know how to relate different fonts to different designs.  I think that a designer should be able to feel that a certain font's character fits in its context, and this is a great way to start. 

The passed few days I've been taking [awkward] photos of some of my friend's handwriting.  Here's some.  (Thank you Anthony, Kevin, Mia and Kansas).  We all learned how to write pretty much the same way and yet look how different it all is! 




No comments:

Post a Comment